Located in the biopharmaceutical hub of Boston, Chemic expands Solvias' global presence and portfolio of integrated testing and analytical services. As one organization, Solvias and Chemic:
- support 650+ pharmaceutical corporations, biotech businesses, emerging ATMP companies, as well as medical device and cosmetics companies;
- operate nearly 225,000 square feet of laboratory space in Switzerland, France and the United States in accordance with the highest industry standards, including ISO, cGMP and GLP;
- offer an extensive suite of analytical services including chemical and physical characterization, quality control, microbiology and cell biology testing and stability testing;
- provide combined areas of strengths in synthesis, catalysis and in extractable and leachable testing;
- employ more than 600 people possessing deep scientific and technical expertise, with a significant number holding advanced academic degrees.
Scott A. Goodrich, co-founder and site head, Chemic, added, "This is a great opportunity to further expand our offering in the Boston area, United States and beyond."
Chemic is Solvias' first acquisition since partnering with health care investors Water Street Healthcare Partners and JLL Partners in June 2020 to strategically grow the company. Since then, Solvias has recruited industry leaders to join its board and commenced a program to significantly upgrade and expand its information technology platform and infrastructure in support of further global expansion plans. The company is pursuing organic investments and acquisitions to add specialized capabilities to support clients in the growing areas of biologics and cell & gene therapies.
Karen Huebscher, Ph.D., chief executive officer, Solvias, stated, "We are making great progress toward our goal of building Solvias into a global leader at the forefront of our industry. In a short amount of time, we have grown our teams, advanced organic initiatives and completed a strategic acquisition. Our combination with Chemic provides us with an important presence in the United States and extends our scientific capabilities to meaningfully benefit our customers and our mission of helping them bring safer and better products to market faster."
Chemic's co-founders, Messrs. St. Laurent and Goodrich, will join Solvias' leadership team and continue to lead operations in the United States. They also will continue to operate Chemic's product development businesses as separate entities.
Financial terms of the acquisition are not being disclosed.
About Chemic Laboratories
Chemic Laboratories is a full-service FDA-registered and DEA licensed, cGMP/GLP contract chemistry organization (CCO). Founded in 1998, Chemic offers unparalleled contract analytical, API synthesis, and formulation development to the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device industries. The company provides these services through a strategically designed and highly technical facility equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation.