Steel and iron are the dominant metallic materials. The steel producing and steel processing industries are key industries of the German, European and world economy. Their products are omnipresent. The most important manufacturing industries include the construction industry as well as mechanical engineering, plant engineering or automotive industry. With countless new steel grades, completely new groups of steels and innovative processing methods, improved application possibilities and new fields of application for steel are opening up. As a result, steel can be a driver of innovation.
The Forschungsvereinigung Stahlanwendung e. V. (FOSTA) drives application research and practical development for the material steel. This includes brainstorming, the formation of consortia for the application and implementation of research projects. All research projects are carried out in cooperation of industry and steel relevant research institutions. The focus is on the fields of construction, mechanical engineering, automotive, traffic engineering and environmental technology. These include the cross-sectional tasks such as working and processing techniques and material behavior of steel, simulation and sustainability.
Current research results for construction industries from 2019 are summarized in the following final reports:
- P 912 Fracture behavior of adhesive parts and cohesive zone model - influence of manufacturing and aging
- P 978 Holistic assessment of steel and composite railway bridges according to criteria of sustainability
- P 998 New evaluation concept for appraisal of mechanical properties in high strength grained structural steels weldments bases on the temperature-time-curve
- P 1019 Derivaton of new, optimized strength criteria for steel components
- P 1035 Enhancement of load capacity of welded high-strength I-shape sections using improved design models for the consideration of residual stress
- P 1040 New applications possibilities for rear-ventilated metal facades with the use of stainless steel composite sheets