&uot;The personal and entry-level storage market was stagnant in 2014 and started to show signs of decline in 2015,&uot; said Jingwen Li , Senior Research Analyst, Storage Systems . &uot;The adoption of cloud storage has been gaining traction in the consumer space with its easy data access and mobile device integration. One of the negative impacts of cloud storage deployment leads to shrinking demand within the PELS market.&uot;
- Personal storage remained the dominant component of the PELS market and accounted for over 98% of market shipments. This quarter marked the fourth consecutive quarter of declining shipments for personal storage, which were down -13.5% year over year. Entry-level storage, which represents the PELS market segment with higher margins, started to show shipment declines as well, with shipments down -4.5% during the quarter.
- For personal storage, the majority of shipments were products with 1TB and 2TB capacity points, which combined accounted for nearly 75% of units shipped. On the entry-level side, 4TB and 8-20TB devices accounted for the majority of shipments, as SMBs demand larger capacity to meet their storage needs.
- Regarding interface, USB remained the most popular choice in the market. Dual interface products continued to grow at a double-digit rate (51.8% year over year). Ethernet offerings experienced the largest decline in the recent four quarters (-17.6% year over year), which was primarily due to the decline in the entry-level space.
This chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic are available by clicking here .
- The PELS market includes storage products and solutions with a single bay through twelve bay configurations that are manufactured and marketed for individuals, small offices/home offices, and small businesses.
- IDC defines Personal Storage as having 1-2 bays and Entry-Level Storage as having 3-12 bays.
- IDC defines an HDD vendor as a vendor who manufactures its own hard disk drive, in addition to branded external storage.
- IDC defines a Mainstream non-HDD vendor as a major PELS vendor that does not manufacture its own hard disk drives.
- Data for the PELS market is reported for calendar periods.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad . The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets .