- IDC Central Europe GmbH
- Hanauer Landstraße 182 D
- 60314 Frankfurt am Main
- Katja Schmalen
- +49 (69) 90502-115
Worldwide Personal & Entry-Level Storage Market Continued to Decline in the Second Quarter of 2015, According to IDC
"The personal and entry-level storage market has been showing seasonality since 2013, indicating that it has become a mature market and is no longer immune to macro trends," said Jingwen Li, Research Analyst, Storage Systems. "Competition from cloud offerings and shift of media consumption preferences within mature markets are negatively impacting demand within the personal storage space, making high growth emerging markets more critical than ever."
- Personal storage, which accounted for over 98% of the market shipments, continued to experience decline in the second quarter of 2015. Entry-level storage shipment remained flat during the quarter, and the segment has not been able to gain market share in the past two years.
- HDD vendors continued to increase their share in total PELS units shipped, gaining 1.7 percentage points year over year to 79.5% market share. Mainstream non-HDD vendors dominated the entry-level storage segment, but lost market share to HDD vendors. In 2Q15, HDD vendors gained 13.1 percentage points from a year ago to represent 24.6% of the entry-level storage market. Some mainstream non-HDD vendors, like Lenovo, choose to exit the market and shift its focus to the enterprise storage space.
- Dual interface products were able to maintain a double-digit growth rate (67.1% year over year). Ethernet offerings have been experiencing shipment declines since the end of 2014. Devices with USB interface remained the most popular choice.
This graphic is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic are available by clicking here.
- The PELS market includes storage products and solutions with a single bay through twelve bay configurations that are manufactured and marketed for individuals, small offices/home offices, and small businesses.
- IDC defines Personal Storage as having 1-2 bays and Entry-Level Storage as having 3-12 bays.
- IDC defines an HDD vendor as a vendor who manufactures its own hard disk drive, in addition to branded external storage.
- IDC defines a Mainstream non-HDD vendor as a major PELS vendor that does not manufacture its own hard disk drives.
- Data for the PELS market is reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Personal and Entry Level Storage Tracker, please contact Jingwen Li (email@example.com).
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
IDC Central Europe GmbH
Für die oben stehenden Pressemitteilungen, das angezeigte Event bzw. das Stellenangebot sowie für das angezeigte Bild- und Tonmaterial ist allein der jeweils angegebene Herausgeber (siehe Firmeninfo bei Klick auf Bild/Meldungstitel oder Firmeninfo rechte Spalte) verantwortlich. Dieser ist in der Regel auch Urheber der Pressetexte sowie der angehängten Bild-, Ton- und Informationsmaterialien.
Die Nutzung von hier veröffentlichten Informationen zur Eigeninformation und redaktionellen Weiterverarbeitung ist in der Regel kostenfrei. Bitte klären Sie vor einer Weiterverwendung urheberrechtliche Fragen mit dem angegebenen Herausgeber. Bei Veröffentlichung senden Sie bitte ein Belegexemplar an firstname.lastname@example.org.