Hungary: Coming Along for the REIT?
Following the lead of most developed economies, Hungary has now introduced Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) in en effort to revitalize the local real estate market.
• Their equity must equal at least HUF 10 billion;
• Their business activity must be limited to the purchase, sale and rental of own properties and to real estate and property management;
• The percentage of their public float shall be at least 25 per cent;
• A part of the shares equalling the public float percentage shall be listed on the stock exchange;
• Credit institutions and insurance companies must not hold more than a 10 per cent share of the shares;
• 90 per cent of the entity’s dividends must be disbursed.
Although the tax exemption may make REITs an attractive form of investment, the question still arises why they were not admitted earlier and how they may contribute to the revitalization of the real estate market. In other countries, REITs face challenges from both the slowing economy and the global financial crisis. Therefore, how they will perform in Hungary remains to be seen.
Dr. Andrea Juhász LL.M. Eur., Attorney-at-law, Partner of ECOVIS in Budapest
ECOVIS AG Steuerberatungsgesellschaft
Ecovis is a leading global consulting firm with its origins in Continental Europe. It has over 3,300 staff operating in over 40 countries. Its consulting focus and core competencies lie in the areas of tax consultation, auditing, legal advice and accounting and management consulting services. The particular strength of Ecovis is the combination of personal advice at a local level with the general expertise of an international and interdisciplinary network of professionals. Every Ecovis office can rely on qualified specialists in its back offices as well as on the specific industrial or national know-how of all the Ecovis experts worldwide. This diversified expertise provides clients with effective support, especially in the fields of international transactions and investments - from preparation in the client's native country to support in the target country. In its consulting work Ecovis concentrates mainly on mid-sized firms. Both nationally and internationally, its one-stop-shop concept ensures all-round support in legal, fiscal, managerial and administrative issues. The name Ecovis, a combination of the terms economy and vision, expresses both its international character and its focus on the future and growth.