High-performance KBA Commander hybrid press for Jordan
Jordan Press Foundation picks globally proven KBA newspaper technology
Market leader in newspaper publishing
The Jordan Press Foundation publishes a national Arabic daily newspaper, Al Rai, which has the biggest circulation and advertising section in the country. Other titles include the Jordan Times, an English publication launched in 1975, and Hatem, a monthly magazine for children and youngsters.
The project is the biggest investment to date by a Jordanian media company in newspaper technology. According to JPF chairman Fahed Fanek it will enable the company to consolidate its pole position in the market and sustain profitable growth in the future: "With the highpowered KBA Commander we can offer our readers, advertisers and print customers fullcolour newspapers, supplements and other print products with still greater visual appeal and immediacy."
Amjad Ayesh, JPF technical committee chairman and commercial press manager, adds: "The Commander's heatset capability will allow us to print semicommercial and hybrid copies on newsprint and improved paper. While we'll be exploiting these options and the new press line's productivity for our own titles, we'll also be accepting contract work to shorten the payback time."
Flexible press with an array of extras
The KBA Commander will have a 578mm (22.75in) cutoff on a maximum web width of 1,520mm (59.8in) and a maximum rated output in straight production of 80,000 copies per hour. In heatset mode there will be a choice of web widths from 1.260 to 1,520mm (49.6 - 59.8in). The maximum page count in fullcolour production will be 96 broadsheet or 192 tabloid pages, with 16 broadsheet or 32 tabloid pages running through the heatset dryer.
The configuration of the substructure press will include:
- 8 KBA Pastomat reelstands with KBA Patras A automatic reel logistics and two stripping stations;
- 6 fourhigh towers for 4/4 or 2 x 2/2 production with semiautomatic plate changers and KBA RollerTronic automatic roller bearings;
- single turner bars, turner decks and baywindow rollers;
- 2 folder superstructures with two formers;
- 1 hotair dryer with chill roller stand etc.;
- 2 KF 5 jaw folders with length/cross perforation and quarter fold;
- automatic ink pumping, colour- and cutoff register controls and fanout compensation;
- automatic blanket and inkingunit washing systems.
The KBA Commander will be controlled from five EAE consoles with Print software for job scheduling and press preset, a RIP interface and a diagnostics PC. Press operators will be given indepth training.