Pressemitteilung BoxID: 468365 (European Energy Exchange AG)
  • European Energy Exchange AG
  • Augustusplatz 9
  • 04109 Leipzig
  • Ansprechpartner
  • Katrin Berken
  • +49 (341) 2156-202

EPEX SPOT / EEX Power Derivatives: Power Trading Results in November

(PresseBox) (Paris/Leipzig, ) In November 2011, a total volume of 101.4 TWh was traded on the Power Spot and Derivatives Market operated by EPEX SPOT SE and EEX Power Derivatives respectively (November 2010: 143.4 TWh).

In November 2011, power trading on EPEX SPOT's day-ahead auctions accounted for a total of 23,958,447 MWh (November 2010: 24,069,069 MWh) and can be broken down as follows:

On the Intraday market a total volume of 1,346,110 MWh was traded in November (same month of the previous year: 1,054,058 MWh):

- Germany 1,203,821 MWh (November 2010: 956,339 MWh)
- France 142,289 MWh (November 2010: 97,719 MWh)

In November, cross-border trades represented 14 percent of the total Intraday volume.

The volume in power derivatives trading on EEX Power Derivatives amounted to 76.1 TWh in November (November 2010: 118.3 TWh). The total volume includes 5.3 TWh from trading in French Futures. On 24 November 2011, the French Power Futures contracts have been shifted from physical fulfilment to financial fulfilment. The total derivatives trading volume comprises 39.0 TWh from OTC clearing. On 30 November 2011, the open interest amounted to 562.0 TWh. On the Power Derivatives Market, the base load for the year 2012 was quoted at EUR 53.38 per MWh (Germany) and at EUR 52.30 per MWh (France) on 30 November 2011. The peak load price for the year 2012 amounted to EUR 65.50 per MWh (Germany) and to EUR 65.53 per MWh (France).

EEX Power Derivatives GmbH operates the German and the French Power Derivatives Market and, hence, occupies a central position in power trading in Continental Europe: Market participants on EEX Power Derivatives can trade power futures and options with financial settlement as well as futures with physical delivery to Germany and France. EEX AG holds 80 % of the shares in EEX Power Derivatives GmbH and the French Powernext SA holds the remaining 20 %.

EPEX SPOT SE operates the power spot markets for France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland (Day Ahead and Intraday). Together these countries account for more than one third of the European electricity consumption. EPEX SPOT is a Paris-based company under European law (Societas Europaea) with a branch in Leipzig. 283 TWh have been traded from 1 January to 30 November 2011 on the EPEX SPOT power markets.

Clearing and settlement of all EPEX SPOT and EEX Power Derivatives transactions are provided by European Commodity Clearing AG (ECC), based in Leipzig, the clearing house of EEX and its partner exchanges.