- Pressemitteilung BoxID 64625
NDS announces Synamedia™ Metro, a fully integrated IPTV middleware solution for IPTV operators
New offering brings proven middleware, content protection, application development platform to telcos planning to launch video and TV services
- NDS Synamedia Metro is an integrated IPTV middleware solution, offering a turnkey solution for telecommunication operators.
- Pre-integrated with IP-Set Top Box from Samsung and VOD Server from Broadbus.
- Content protection provided by NDS VideoGuard®, currently protecting content on 64 million set-top boxes
- Application development environment based on NDS MediaHighway™ middleware, currently running on 38 million set-top boxes today
- Includes a powerful Electronic Program Guide and a standards-based open architecture.
NDS, the leading provider of technology solutions for digital pay-TV, today announced Synamedia™ Metro, a complete IPTV middleware solution for telecommunications companies (telcos) and broadband operators. The new full-feature product brings the world’s leading television technologies to the telecommunications industry, enabling telcos to offer the power of IPTV to their subscribers. The solution debuts this week at GlobalComm 2006.
Synamedia Metro IPTV middleware allows IPTV operators to offer attractive Electronic Program Guides (EPG), interactive TV applications (iTV), Video on Demand (VOD), digital video recorder (DVR) or network DVR capabilities and interactive games, in either standard (SD) or high definition (HD) all of which are built using the NDS MediaHighway middleware application development tools. Synamedia Metro also protects premium content and revenue streams through NDS VideoGuard, the most widely deployed, robust and secure encryption technology for content protection, revenue protection and rights management.
Synamedia Metro will be demonstrated at GLOBALCOMM 2006 on a Samsung IP-set-top box along with on-demand video servers from Broadbus. By integrating these technologies into a single solution, the NDS Synamedia Metro architecture enables the telco operator to deploy a single integrated IPTV system, saving time in the critical startup phase of any new service. The solution is also standards-based, allowing telcos to choose their system components according to their current infrastructure needs.
Nigel Smith, vice president NDS Broadband Internet Group said: “A telco launching IPTV services is likely to enter into an existing competitive market with cable or satellite companies that have significant experience in this market and already have a strong middleware solution. Using an untested or unknown middleware solution decreases the likelihood of success. The Synamedia Metro middleware is built upon MediaHighway – used by some of the most successful broadcasters in the world. Telco operators can benefit from the experience that NDS has gained in delivering middleware solutions to over 38 million subscribers and be sure that they can launch advanced TV applications at least comparable with their competitors – while also taking advantage of the two-way nature of IPTV. ”
He continued: “We have been working with telcos around the world for the last six years as they deploy IPTV solutions and we bring all of that expertise along with our deep knowledge of television technology to the telecommunications industry in this exciting new offering. We believe that only an open solution will meet the requirements for providing new and exciting IPTV services – and with Synamedia Metro being fully standards-based and having open interfaces, the operator can choose to mix and match components and not be locked into a single supplier.”
Key features of the Synamedia Metro solution include:
- Electronic Program Guide - Synamedia Metro’s consolidated, intuitive Electronic Programming Guide gives instant access to TV channels, VOD items and broadband communication services. It has a powerful search function, on-screen information bars and other features include user-friendly shortcuts, customizable views for multi-channel navigation and picture-in-picture elements.
- Digital Rights Management – Synamedia Metro relies on the NDS industry-leading VideoGuard technology to provide content protection, rights management, device authentication and usage tracking. VideoGuard facilitates negotiations for high-value content on the best possible terms, based on NDS’ global reputation for stringent, end-to-end security.
- Standards-based and Open - Synamedia Metro is built with open software interfaces and is based on internationally recognized standards. It uses the latest video codecs, integrated into high definition decoder chips, for bandwidth economy, keeping STB prices low. It also uses standards-based content protection technology to facilitate choice and interoperability with a wide range of hardware suppliers, thus driving down the total cost of IPTV deployment and ensuring faster and easier integrations.
- Powerful Development Environment – Synamedia Metro enables IPTV operators to develop SD and HD enhanced TV and interactive TV applications quickly and economically using the MediaHighway application development environment. It utilizes standard Web authoring tools and supports all the common formats in use today, including HTML, Java, Flash, OCAP and MHP.
- Ease of Operations Management - NDS Monitor, a Synamedia Metro sub-system, monitors all headend software and hardware components using SNMP and can interface with existing OSS platforms. Alternatively alerts can be displayed on a color-coded GUI and alarms can be provided remotely via email or SMS to mobile devices.
NDS Group plc (NASDAQ/ Euronext Brussels: NNDS), a New Corporation company, is a leading supplier of open end-to-end digital pay-TV solutions for the secure delivery of entertainment and information to television set-top boxes and IP devices. See www.nds.com for more information about NDS.
Cautionary Statement Concerning Forward-looking Statements
This document contains certain “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on management’s views and assumptions regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made. Actual results may differ materially from these expectations due to changes in global economic, business, competitive market and regulatory factors. More detailed information about these and other factors that could affect future results is contained in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The “forward-looking statements” included in this document are made only as of the date of this document and we do not have any obligation to publicly update any “forward-looking statements” to reflect subsequent events or circumstance, except as required by law.
Über NDS Group Ltd.
NDS Group Ltd. creates the technologies and applications that enable pay-TV operators to securely deliver digital content to TV STBs (set-top boxes), DVRs (digital video recorders), PCs, mobiles and other multimedia devices. Over 90 of the world’s leading pay-TV platforms rely on NDS solutions to protect and enhance their business.
NDS’ VideoGuard® is the world’s market-leading content and service protection solution, deployed in 114 million pay-TV households. VideoGuard conditional access (CA) and digital rights management (DRM) technologies safeguard pay-TV service revenues exceeding $50 billion. NDS middleware, which enables a host of advanced services for subscribers, has been deployed on 206 million devices. NDS DVR technology, centred around XTV™, is a leader in the global industry with 45 million units deployed. (Deployment figures as of 30th September 2011).
Headquartered in the UK, with over 5000 employees, NDS remains committed to investing in technology and development with over 75% of its employees dedicated to pioneering work at development centres in France, India, Israel, Korea, UK and US.
NDS Group Ltd. is a private company owned by the Permira Funds and News Corporation. See www.nds.com for more information
Click here for the NDS RSS feed: feed43.com/nds_press_releases.xml
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nds_group