AMD Catalyst 11.12 and AMD Catalyst 12.1 (Preview) Drivers Released
Feature highlights of the AMD Catalyst(TM) 11.12 driver:
AMD OpenGL 4.2 production support
- AMD Catalyst 11.12 delivers official support for the OpenGL 4.2 specification
AMD Eyefinity technology enhancements
- Enables support for AMD HD3D technology when using a 3x1 Landscape Eyefinity display group, on supported DisplayPort 3D monitors.
AMD Vision Engine Control Center enhancements for Dual Graphics
- Improvements have been implemented to better facilitate the enabling and control of the Dual Graphics within the Vision Engine Control Center
Feature highlights of the AMD Catalyst(TM) 11.12 Linux driver:
This release of AMD Catalyst(TM) Linux introduces support for the following new operating systems
- RHEL 6.2 early look support
AMD's driver for the Windows 8 Developer build is also now available on www.amd.com for download. This is the same driver that was made available through Windows Update when the Windows 8 Preview Build was released in September 2011. AMD plans to release new drivers for Windows 8 on www.amd.com the same day as all future Windows 8 milestone releases (Beta, RC, RTM) - just as AMD did for Windows Vista and Windows 7.
We have also just released the AMD Catalyst(TM) 12.1 Preview.
Anandtech has already posted an article on the AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver. Some great quotes from the article below:
"2011 brought with it some great developments out of the Catalyst team such as significant performance boosts for both Cayman (6900 series) GPUs and CrossFire across the board"
"...It (AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview) is the driver that sets the pace for the year."
"With Catalyst 12.1 AMD is finally taking application profiles to their logical extension by allowing for custom application profiles, and I couldn't be happier."
"Meanwhile for performance AMD is still hard at work on Skyrim; 6900 series users can look forward to up to 10% better performance in Skyrim when using MSAA alongside CrossFire"
The AMD Catalyst(TM) 12.1 Preview includes all of the features found in AMD Catalyst(TM) 11.12 and also includes all of the latest optimizations found in the AMD Catalyst 11.11c performance drivers (AMD Catalyst 11.12 does not include the latest 11.11c optimizations). It is highly recommended that all gamers use the AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver.
Link to the AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver: http://support.amd.com/...
Feature highlights of the AMD Catalyst(TM) 12.1 driver:
AMD HD3D technology support enhancement
- Enables support for AMD HD3D technology in conjunction with AMD CrossFireX configurations
- Delivers a new Stereo 3D mode over HDMI 1.4a connections - 1080p at 30Hz is now enabled on supported displays.
AMD Catalyst Control Center / Vision Engine Control Center enhancements - Application Profiles
- AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver enables users to create per application profiles to individually control 3D and CrossFireX settings for Direct3D applications
- Please be sure to select the "Restore Factory Defaults" option under the Catalyst Control Center Preferences menu before using the new application profiles feature - this ensures there are no compatibility issues between previous drivers and the new AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver with regards to application profiles
AMD Catalyst Control Center / Vision Engine Control Center enhancements - Video UI improvements
- AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver includes user interface enhancements to simply adjustment of video color and video quality controls
Performance highlights of the AMD Catalyst(TM) 12.1 Preview driver (in addition to the AMD Catalyst 11.11c performance driver)
- Improves performance (10%) in Elder Scrolls: Skyrim when Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing is enabled on the AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6900 Series for single GPU and AMD CrossFireX configurations