Texas Instruments introduces advanced notebook battery fuel gauges that support JEITA charging profile
Integrated Li-Ion fuel gauge and protection ICs feature Impedance TrackTM technology with highest battery monitoring accuracy
The bq20z4x and bq20z6x devices are pin-compatible with TI’s popular bq20z7x and bq20z9x series of products with Impedance Track. The bq20z45 and bq20z65 are single-package ICs with integrated battery protection, while the bq20z40 and bq20z60 are dual-package ICs requiring a companion bq29330 analog front end device. The bq20z6x family supports LED functionality.
Full configurability of all JEITA parameters:
- Configurable according to temperature, charging currents and charging voltages
- Charging voltage and cell over-voltage threshold varies with temperature
- Charging current can be adjusted based on battery voltage and temperature
Additional features and benefits of bq20z4x and bq20z6x
- Third-generation fuel gauges with patented Impedance Track provide accurate runtime prediction for batteries with extremely flat voltage profiles.
- Cell voltage-based taper termination improves charge termination accuracy.
- Provides enhanced cell imbalance detection in charge mode.
- Two independent thermistor controls enable simultaneous monitoring of battery temperature and MOSFETs.
- Access to lifetime data simplifies diagnostics.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The bq20z45 and bq20z65 single-chip fuel gauges come in a 38-pin TSSOP with a suggested resale price of $4.40 in 1,000-unit quantities. The bq20z40 and bq20z60 come in a 20-pin TSSOP and have a suggested resale price of $3.40 in 1,000-unit quantities. The bq29330 is available in a 30-pin TSSOP with a price of $1.00 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI’s multi-cell battery fuel gauges:
- Order bq20z4x and bq20z6x samples and EVMs at: www.ti.com/bq20z4x-pr
- TI’s battery charger selector tool: www.ti.com/batterychargerselector-pr
- TI Power community: https://www.ti.com/powerforum-pr
About Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com
Impedance Track is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.