Establishment of Joint Venture for Production of Thin-Film Solar Cells in Italy and Independent Photovoltaic Power Generation Business in the EMEA Region
3Sun will start the production of thinfilm solar cells in the second half of 2011 by utilizing the existing facility of ST in Catania, Sicily Region, Italy. The thinfilm solar cell plant will start operation with an initial annual production capacity of 160 MW, which is scheduled to be expanded to an annual production capacity of 480 MW in the future. The thinfilm solar cells produced in this plant will be marketed mainly in Europe and the Mediterranean area through the sales networks of Sharp and EGP.
In addition, on July 22, 2010 Sharp and EGP have established Enel Green Power & Sharp Solar Energy S.r.l (hereinafter, ESSE), a joint venture of the two companies that will be engaged in the independent power producer (IPP(4)) business to develop, build and operate photovoltaic power generation plants.
ESSE will establish power generation plants with a total power generation capacity of more than 500 MW by the end of 2016. ESSE will use the thinfilm solar cells produced by the 3Sun plant in Catania, and extend its IPP business to Europe, the Middle East and Africa with a focus on the Mediterranean area. Thinfilm solar cells are suitable for largescale photovoltaic power generation, especially in the Mediterranean areas including Southern Europe (EMEA). As compared to silicon type solar cells, the thinfilm solar cells are able to maintain their conversion efficiency even in hot climates.
Through collaboration with a power company, Sharp aims to become a total solution company in the photovoltaic field, initiating the world's first business model extending from thinfilm solar cell production to IPP business.
Overview of Joint Venture Company for Thin-Film Solar Cell Production
- Company name: 3Sun S.r.l.
- Company location: Catania, Sicily Region, Italy
- Date of establishment: July 30, 2010
- Investment ratio: Sharp 33.33%, EGP 33.33%, ST 33.33%
- Plant location: Catania, Sicily Region, Italy
- Start of operations: The second half of 2011
- Production item: Thinfilm solar cells
- Annual production capacity: 160 MW (initial phase)
Overview of Joint Venture Company for Independent Photovoltaic Power Generation Business
- Company name: Enel Green Power & Sharp Solar Energy S.r.l.
- Company location: Rome, Lazio Region, Italy
- Date of establishment: July 22, 2010
- Investment ratio: EGP 50%, Sharp 40%, Sharp Electronics (Italia) S.p.A.(5) 10%
- Power plant location: Europe, the Middle East and Africa with a focus on the Mediterranean area
- Power generation capacity: Total of more than 500 MW by the end of 2016
(1) Enel Green Power is the group company of Enel, the largest power company in Italy, dedicated to developing and managing worldwide energy generation from renewable sources in Italy and abroad.
(2) STMicroelectronics is the leading semiconductor manufacturer in Europe established in 1987.
(3) CIPE (Comitato interministeriale per la programmazione economica / Interministerial Committee for Economic Planning) is the Italian government entity responsible for the general management of national economic planning. It carefully scrutinizes investment of public funds as well as subsidies granted from them, and coordinates decisions between government agencies in this regard.
(4) An independent power producer owns facilities to generate electric power for sales to utilities and end users.
(5) Sharp Electronics (Italia) S.p.A. is Sharp's sales subsidiary in Italy.
Reprint free of charge / Please forward a copy.
You can also find more information at http://www.sharp.eu